ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Sunday 11 November 2012

About me...

I am a dynamic, inspirational yoga teacher who brings energy, humor and philosophy to every class. I realized my vision of yoga through the creation of a Yoga for Youth, a progressive, innovative non-profit program designed to meet the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of children in my home country.
I began my yoga practice with meditation, eastern philosophy and religious studies in high school and university. I then used my practice as a means of dealing with injuries and enhancing performance during my daily activities. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it. I practice and teach according to Sri BKS Iyengar’s words: “The body is the temple, the postures are the prayers.”
I am primarily a student of Krishamacharya’s yoga, as are all of my teachers. In addition to teacher trainings in the Vinyasa and Hatha traditions, I continue to study with BSY. I also received instruction from Gary Ward and Paul Harvey. Not only do I seek to expand my studies internationally but I also remain rooted in the value of what those around me have to offer and receive teachings from the Elders in my home country.
The following sentence accurately describes the philosophy and practicality of studying yoga:
“Through yoga, the impossible becomes possible. We spend so much time separating ourselves form one another. As we ascend the spine and descend the brain we become whole, integrated or One. Experiencing Oneness (yoga) is possible for all people regardless of their age, gender, skin colour and even their health. Steady practice is the key to success in yoga.”


No comments:

Post a Comment