ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Monday 14 October 2013

Extended Side Angle

Extended Side Angle / Utthita Parsvakonasana

(oo-TEE-tah parsh-vah-cone-AHS-anna)
Utthita = extended
Parsva = side, flank
Kona = angle

1.Practicing against a wall, take one yoga block and place it at the highest level against the wall. Stand With your back to the wall and jump or walk your feel out approximately as wide as your wrists. Place your right foot parallel against the block and the left heel of your back foot touching the walls so that your heels are inline with each other.

2.Spin the left foot in and maintain contact with the floor so that it is at a 45 degree angle. Variation: if a wall is not available, align your self with the edge of the yoga mat for proper alignment. Lift up though the knees and engage the quadriceps. Keep the thigh of your right knee parallel, and pulled towards the wall. Pull the belly button to the spine and press your lower back to the wall.

3.Extend your arms out as in Warrior II and keep your shoulders and arms pressed against the wall. Turn your head and look over your right arm. Extend your right arm out as far as possible, reaching forward while hinging at the hips.

4.Turn your front palm down, keeping the shoulder blades down the back and place your right hand on the block. Simultaneously, lift your left arm up to the sky keeping your arms straight and in a straight line. Lengthen up through the arms extending up and look at the thumb in the sky. Try to create as much “room” in your side as possible.  Continue lengthening up reaching your arm towards the front and rotating your chest to the sky Variation: To increase difficulty, without compromising your form, lower your block to the lower level, or palm to the floor.

7. Perform the other side, this time alternating to the left leg first.


Benefits
-Stretches internal obliques
-Strengthens the hamstrings (as it bears more weight of the spine as you shift forwards)
-Stretches triceps

Cautions
-Insomnia
-Headaches
-High blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment