ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Sunday 27 October 2013

Triangle

Triangle / Utthita Trikonasana

(oo-TEE-tah trik-cone-AHS-anna)
utthita = extended
trikona = three angle or triangle

1.From a standing mountain position, jump your feet approximately as wide as your wrists (when your arms are extended out). Raise your arms up so that they are parallel with the floor and keep your palms facing down and continue to lengthen and extending your arms out. Keep your kneecaps pulled up, spine straight and belly button pulled back to the spine.

2.Pivot the right foot so that it is straight to the side wall approx 90 degree angle. Keeping the right heel inline with the back left inside arch. Note: you can also use the edge of your yoga mat to maintain alignment, or use a wall.

3.While extending your arms out as much as possible, reach forward over your right foot and hinge at the hips, keeping your back straight and chest expanded and not allowing the chest to collapse forward. Keep your feet firmly planted on the floor. Rotate your chest up to the sky, while lifting the left arm up overhead. Keep bending and lengthening up, maintaining proper alignment. Keeping the shoulder blades down and shoulders stacked on top of each other.

4.Gently place your right hand on your right shin. Gaze up at the thumb in the sky.Variation: Use a yoga block placed at the highest level beside the inside of your front leg and use it to support your arm Variation:  To increase difficulty, without compromising your form, grab the front big toe in yogi toe lock

5. Perform the other side, this time alternating to the left leg first.

Benefits
-Improves digestion, stimulates abdominal organs
-Helps to relieve stress.
-Increase serotonin levels
-Stretches hips, hamstrings, shoulders, chest and spine

Cautions
-Headaches
-High blood pressure

Beginner Tips
Compromising form in order to reach the front hand down further, front hand position is secondary and not the focus of this pose. Collapsing the chest down, keep the shoulder blades and chest rotated up while in the pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment