ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Wednesday 14 May 2014

What Are The Best Yoga Poses For Stretching The Hamstrings?

I get questions about the hamstrings all the time. Especially for athletes (and specifically, runners) learning how to stretch and listen these giant, tight muscles in a safe and effective way can be a really important part of deepening your yoga practice. 
Here are my favorite yoga poses that stretch the hamstrings:
Padangusthasana, Parsvottanasana, Paschimottanasana, etc.
All forward bends (both seated and standing) provide the most obvious stretch to the hamstrings — it’s up to the yogi to not overdo it. We all know what it feels like to stretch too much while bending over, you might even feel pain in the backs of the legs. So I suggest you allow yourself a small (or large) bend in the knees to provide the element of safety to the stretch.
Adho Muhka Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog): 
Ah, the ol’ mighty Down Dog. Whenever people ask me what my favorite yoga pose is, they tell me I’m boring when I respond with this one. Yes, the pose seems simple, but there are so many little intricacies that make it great, starting with the legs. In Down Dog, bend your knees enough that you can send your hips super high into the air. As you slowly begin to straighten them and bring your heels closer to the floor, you’ll get a great stretch in the hamstrings (and also strengthen the arms, the back, and the shoulders!).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure to never overdo it when it comes to stretching! Make sure you stop at the moment you begin to feel uncomfortable. Pushing yourself too far to get to a particular place can cause tears in the muscles, which take time to heal. On the same realm, be sure to strengthen along with the stretch. Becoming too flexible is just as bad as becoming too stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment