ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Thursday 26 September 2013

Plow Pose (Palms Clasped Variation)

Plow Pose (Palms Clasped Variation) / Halasana

(hah-LAHS-ana)
hala= plow

1.  Practice Halasana following shoulder stand. From your legs straight up to the sky, keep your torso vertical and tip from the hips lowering your tip toes to the floor.

2. Either keep your toes curled on the floor or straighten them so the tops of your toes are in contact with the ground. Lift your hipbones up high to the sky and straighten your legs rolling the inner thighs towards each other.

3. Release your hands from your upper back and extend them in the opposite direction as your legs. Roll your shoulders under even more and place your palms flat on the ground or clasp your hands together. Press your arms firmly into the ground to help you lengthen your tail even further upwards to the sky.

4. Lift your chin slightly away from your chest to maintain your breath. Hold the pose anywhere from one to two minutes and release rolling back down to the ground with control.


Benefits
- Helps to stimulate the digestive system
- Clarifies the mind and reduces stress
- Stretches open the back, legs and shoulders
- Helps to relive sinus congestion

Cautions
- Asthma
- Neck pain or injury
- High blood pressure or heart condition
- Menstruation

No comments:

Post a Comment