ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Monkey Pose

Monkey Pose (Binding Variation) / Hanumanasana
(hah-new-mahn-AHS-anna)
Hanuman = Mythological entity who resembles a monkey leaping

 
1. Start kneeling on the floor and extend your right foot out. Flex your foot upwards and rotate your right thigh outwards.

2. Exhale and slide your right foot forwards using your fingertips to support you as you lower bending over your extended leg bringing your knee to your nose. Hold here for a few deep breaths increasing the intensity of the stretch at every exhale. Release.

3. Come into a high lunge with your right leg forwards and drop your left knee to the ground. Shift your weight forwards and come down to your forearms placed in the inside of your right leg. Feel your back thigh start to open up as you lower your chest down. Hold here for a few deep breaths, again increasing the intensity at every exhale. Release the stretch and when you are comfortable, practice the full version of the pose by continuing on to the next step.

4. Again bring your right foot out as in steps 1 and 2 and slowly start to shift your weight forwards and back, lowering your tailbone down to the ground with the help of your hands into full splits. Keep the kneecap of your right leg turned upwards to the ceiling and keep your weight evenly distributed in the middle. Variation: To increase difficulty, place blocks under your front and back

5. Inhale and reach your arms over head, keeping the shoulder blades down and palms facing each other and bring your hands into prayer position in the center of your chest.

6. Stay in this pose between 30 seconds to one minute. Practice again, this time switching to the left leg forwards.



Benefits
- Intensely stretches the hamstrings, groin muscle and thighs
- Improves balance and focus

Cautions
- Hamstring injury
- Quadricep injury
- Groin injury

No comments:

Post a Comment