ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Friday 20 September 2013

Upward-Facing Open Angle Pose

Upward-Facing Open Angle Pose / Urdhva Upavistha Konasana

(OORD-vah oo-pah-VEESH-tah Cone-AHS-anna)
urdhva=upward
upavistha= seated, sitting
kona=angle

1. Initially, practice this pose as a forward bend until you are comfortable by first sitting on the ground with your legs extended straight out in front of you. Open your legs so they are a little more than 90 degrees apart and start to fold forward from the hips keeping your back flat. Walk your hands forwards until your chest can comfortably rest on the ground and grab on to the outside edges of your feet. Hold the pose for at least 30 seconds. Only when you have become familiar with this position, continue to the next step.



2. From sitting with your legs extended straight out, bend your legs and grab on to the outside edges of your feet. Lift your tail bone up and expand open your chest. Pull your belly button back towards your spine.


3. Tip back slightly and start to open your legs out to the sides at approximately at a 90 degree angle. Straighten your legs completely while still holding on to the outside edges of the feet. Make sure to place equal weight on your sitting bones.
As you lift, engage your core and keep your belly pulled in. Keep your chest expanded and shoulders down. Start to pull your self in closer so that your torso is as vertical as possible. Maintain the pose for at least 10 seconds and gradually increase the length of the pose as you develop greater core strength.




 
Benefits
- Strengthens and tones the core, abdominals and spine
- Helps to improve digestion by stimulating abdominal organs
- Improves balance
- Stretches soleus, gastrocnemius, semitendinosus (inside of legs).

Cautions
- Lumbar spine injury
- Pregnancy
- High or low blood pressure

No comments:

Post a Comment