ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Day 18 Spring Yoga Challenge

Good morning everyone, we are coming closer and closer to the end of our challenge, only 4 more poses to go, and I can´t wait to announce 2 winners. They each will win a 2hrs private class with me :)

Today´s pose is: Fish Pose (Matsyasana)

Matsya, the Fish, was one of the incarnations of the Hindu God Vishnu. Vishnu assumed this form to save the world from the Flood. The Fish Pose or Matsyasana in Hindi, is the counterpose to the Shoulder Stand and must always be practiced after it. Doing the Fish Pose also relieves the stiffness of your neck and shoulder muscles and corrects any tendency of having rounded shoulders. Holding this Yoga Pose exercises the chest, tones the nerves of the neck and back, and ensures that the thyroid and parathyroid glands obtain the maximum benefits from the Shoulder Stand. Performing the Fish Pose also expands the rib cage fully, increasing your lung capacity and aids in deep breathing. You should remain in this Yoga Posture for at least half the amount of time you spent in the Shoulder Stand in order to balance the stretch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment