ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Pose Dedicated to the Sage Gheranda (Variation B.)

Pose Dedicated to the Sage Gheranda (Variation B.) /Gherandasana

(gir-ann-dahs-anna)
Gheranda= sage, classical hatha yoga text


1. Lying in prone position, place your palms beside your ears, fingers facing front and toes pointing back.

2. Inhaling, straighten your arms and lift your chest off the floor. Stop when your pelvis begins to lift off the ground. Pull you belly button toward your spine and keep your buttocks relaxed but firm.

3. Keeping your shoulder blades down your back and maintaining great length in your torso, concentrate your weight on your pelvis and upper thighs.

4. With your knees hip distance apart, bend both of your knees so that your toes point toward the back of your head.

5. With your left hand, reach around the front of your torso and grab onto your right foot pulling your heel toward the ground beside your right hip as in Frog Pose.

6. Concentrating your weight on your left elbow and forearm, torso, pelvis and right thigh, inhale and reach back with your right arm and grab onto your left toes. Pull your left toes upward until your left thigh is off the ground and your knee is level with your shoulder.


Benefits
- Stretches the abdomen, chest and shoulders, legs and knees
- Stretches hip flexors
- Strengthens the back, improving posture

Cautions
- Avoid if you have serious back, neck or knee injuries
- May exacerbate headaches

No comments:

Post a Comment