ANDREA - a full time Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi instructor.

I fell in love with yoga over seven years ago, when I got a Nintendo DS and bought a game called Let's Yoga. From then, I began 'playing' yoga everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first, the practice was more physical for me, but after few months I started to really count on yoga to bring me a sense of calm during especially chaotic days. Soon after, I began recognizing the benefits of a regular asana and meditation practice and continued to incorporate yoga daily - not just during times of chaos. I found myself feeling more energized, more compassionate, happier, and with more awareness. Now, I teach full-time and couldn't be happier to do what I love. What began as a physical practice for strength and flexibility quickly became a lifestyle. I teach my students to take their yoga off the mat and apply the principles learned in the class to their lives outside of the studio. I do not only teach my philosophy, I live it.

Sunday 20 September 2015

September Challenge # Day 20 Hip Openers

Good morning everyone! It is Sunday today and I whought we should have a really nice posture for today :) What do you think about 
Flowering Lotus (Vikasitakamalasana)

If you want to try it, here is how you do it:
Sit firmly on the ground and spread your legs wide. Bend your knees and brace the outsides of both feet against the floor. Hold on to the ankles or shins. Take your awareness to the lowest part of your spine, and with an inhalation extend up. Fix your gaze on a steady point on the horizon and stay for 5 to 10 breaths.

The hip-opening and twisting poses activate the second and third chakras, respectively, helping to free energy in those areas, and move it up the spine so that you can give back to others in creative ways. At the peak of your practice sequence you can embody a luminous lotus flower emerging from muddy water. In yogic lore, the lotus is a metaphor for how past experiences can be used as fertile soil for blooming into a more awakened soul. You can embody that awakened state of spiritual activation and really send compassion into the world.

Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment